4.07.2008

Holga Experience


Recently, we were all given Holga 120s in my photography class. They are these "fantastic plastic" cameras--literally. The cameras are entirely plastic, including the lens and almost all of their guts. I was happy for this assignment because I think it was helpful in forcing me to "let loose" a little bit from the strict rules of photography. So much is out of my control when I use the Holga--even the viewfinder is essentially pointless! You cannot focus them. You cannot adjust for aperture settings. It is just point-and-click-and-hope. I have learned a lot about the Holga and am now enjoying it very much. I recently went out to photograph horses and barns and older houses along Victory Road. I believe I was successful and can't wait to get in the darkroom to see how they turned out. My Holga doesn't seem to have much vignetting, but there is an apparent blur on the edges of the film.

No comments: