5.06.2008

Artist Bio & Statement.

We were asked to write an Artist bio. as well as an artist statement for the "Hello Holga" show. This is mine, I combined the two together.

"I have been exploring photography for the past four years, but within the last two I have found myself exploring the darkroom rather than my predominantly digital past. My recent photographic endeavors utilize a 35-mm SLR as well as a Holga 120, both with black and white film. I try to choose subject matter that is recognizable but present it in a way which requests another look from the viewer. Interesting angles, dramatic lighting, and purposeful cropping drive my photography.

For 'Hello Holga,' I hoped to reflect and highlight the naturally eerie quality of Holga photographs with subject matter which was equally as eerie and ambiguous. I chose to represent outdoor scenes in which the timeframe would be at question, the before and after explanation of the scene up for grabs, and the actual setting unanswered. A lone van, a scrawling, untrimmed bush, and a dilapidated shed leave the viewer to wonder what exactly happened here. I can't tell you, so you'll just have to guess."

I thoroughly enjoyed this class, and having a show at the end makes it all seem even more worthwhile!

No comments: