2.25.2008

Alex Soth

Alex Soth's photography was shown to us in our Creative Photography class and I couldn't quite get over the image of the gas station in the snow. I was intrigued by the fact that he was able to make a gas station - of all things - beautiful.


As I began to research his work, I learned that one of his series of photographs was all about the bleak and desolate scenes he runs across as he travels along the Mississippi River. It's a really unique subject matter, in my opinion. I love when artists are able to find the beauty in things which we would normally find mundane and boring. Although, essentially, the things he photographs are mundane and boring, the way in which he arranges compositions, chooses lighting, and the exact things he decides to fit within the picture frame draw the viewer's eye and mind in. If you want to see more of Alec Soth, click here to visit his website.

No comments: