2.27.2008

Robert Frank



Staying with the theme of "street photography," I am now going to touch on Robert Frank, who is known for his "from-the-hip" photography, where he literally photographs his subjects with his camera near his hip in order to conceal it more, rather than the abrasive style of photographing that Bruce Gilden utilizes. Robert Frank was born in Switzerland and now resides in Nova Scotia. He won the Guggenhiem Fellowship in 1955 and 1956. I particularly enjoy his work. I think I am fond of street photography because of the candid quality. However, Frank's photography at times seems to have a more documentary feel, as if recording a people and a historical era. Although the same can be said about all the previous street photographers I discussed.


"When people look at my pictures, I want them to feel the way they do when they want to reread a line of a poem."

No comments: