2.23.2008

Jill Greenberg





It was ironic to me that I stumbled across Jill Greenberg after we had been dicussing traditional and non-traditional portraiture in class. The first samples of her work that I came across was a series of works that photographed monkeys, chimpanzees, and other primates in a traditional portrait manner. They come across as if they have human personas, which is fascinating and actually very humorous. I absolutely love them. She also did a series of work called "shiny faces" which has celebrities and other people photographed with a chosen expression and then the photo is manipulated so that their faces glow unnaturally.

I think some people may find her work odd, but I think it is an excellent display of photo-manipulation. Also, for her to get those monkeys to sit there like that, and get such clear, vivid photographs not only takes talent, but a lot of patience and endurance as an artist. Please, if you have a chance, visit her website.

No comments: